FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2013 12:09:55 AM EST
D1 TEAM ROLLS OVER LEHIGH
The D1 Panthers improved to 2-1 with a resounding win over the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks on Saturday afternoon.
Pitt grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the first period with a goal from freshman forward, Ryan Rosato (1). Lehigh answered shortly after to make it a 1-1 game. Junior forward, Jimmy Law (1), scored the game winning goal late in the first to bring the Panthers ahead of the Mountain Hawks.
Freshman forwards Jonathan Kashmere (1) and Max Kilkuts (1), and junior forward Pete Zenger (1) also tallied goals to deliver a 5-1 victory over Lehigh. Senior goaltender Matt Schmidlin recorded a 97 save percentage for Pitt while blocking 32 of 33 shots.
Pitt D1 travels to Indiana University to play two games against the Hoosiers on Friday, October 4 and Saturday, October 5.
-- A. MECS
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2013 11:44:29 PM EST
D1 WINS ONE, DROPS ONE IN OT ON OPENING WEEKEND
The D1 Panthers opened the season 1-1 with a heartbreaking loss in OT against Canisius College on Friday night and a come from behind victory against Rochester Institute of Technology on Saturday afternoon.
Friday’s game saw an early 3-0 lead for the boys in the first period with goals from freshman forward Bobby Tritschler (1), sophomore forward Nick Blaney (1), and senior forward Andrew Ruxton (1), but the Golden Griffins came back with three goals of their own early in the second.
Tritschler (2) tallied his second goal of the evening late in the second period to bring the Panthers ahead of Canisius, 4-1. The Griffins scored with nine minutes remaining in the third to tie the game and eventually force the game into overtime, where Canisius would score once more and bring the final tally to Griffins 5, Panthers 4. Senior goaltender Rob Behling stopped 34 of 39 shots for Pitt.
Saturday’s game against the Tigers started off with an early 1-0 lead in favor of RIT but it would not hold for long. Senior forward Mike McCurdy (1) struck gold late in the first to tie it up 1-1 heading into the second.
The game would remain a tie until early in the third when freshman forward Joe Griffin (1) found the back of the net with the game winning goal to give Pitt the 2-1 lead. Griffin (2) would score his second goal of the afternoon to give the Panthers the eventual 3-1 victory over the Tigers. Senior goaltender Matt Schmidlin recorded a 96.7 save percentage for Pitt by blocking 29 of 30 shots.
Pitt D1 returns to action on Saturday, September 28 at 4:50 p.m. in Harmarville to take on the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks.
- ARTICLE CONTRIBUTED BY: Staff Reporter McKenzie Baker
-- A. MECS
FRIDAY, AUGUST 30, 2013 4:48:12 PM EST
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2013-2014 PITT D2 HOCKEY TEAM!
- Nicholas Bascou Returning Player
- Sean Brawley Returning Player
- Mark Clifford Returning Player
- Jared DiSanti Returning Player
- Conor Donze Returning Player
- Trevor Fetch Returning Player
- Daniel Finger Returning Player
- Jonathan Finger Greensburg Salem HS / Allegheny Badgers (Midget AA)
- Jeremy Goral Returning Player
- Josh Howell Returning Player
- Jacob Kuhn Returning Player
- Geoff Landry Returning Player
- Ronald Litman Mt. Lebanon High School
- Justin Lombardozzi Returning Player
- Mitchell Luckenbill Returning Player
- Robert Mazeski Central Catholic HS / Vipers (Midget AA)
- Jason Meyer Monroe County Eagles (Midget AA)
- Michael Mina Berks Catholic HS / Berks Battalion (Midget AA)
- Sam Ministero Returning Player
- Ryan Miranda Timberline Wolves HS / Boise Hawks
- Nate Novacco Returning Player
- Jimmy Salfiti Returning Player
- Chris Santangelo Returning Player
- Tyler Sgrignoli West Perry High School
- Cody Siegfried Returning Player
- George Zambelli North Allegheny High School
-- A. MECS